” Evaluating the efficacy of Electronic-Cigarette use for Smoking Cessation”
Electronic cigarettes(e-cigarettes) are devices that are similar to cigarettes but create vapor instead of smoke.
Although e-cigarettes with nicotine are not legal to sell in Canada at this moment, many e-cigarettes sold here do contain nicotine(the addictive ingredient in cigarettes); others do not.
E-cigarettes have become popular among smokers, but it is not known if they can be used to help people quit smoking.
The purpose of this study is to see if combining e-cigarettes with smoking cessation counseling can help more smokers to quit(compared to smoking cessation counseling alone).
Participants eligible for the Smoking Cessation Research Trial will be randomized to one of the three treatment arms:
- Nicotine e-cigarettes with individual counseling;
- Non-Nicotine e-cigarettes with individual counseling;
- Individual counseling alone.
What are the benefits of Participation?
- You will be monitored in our clinic during the trial;
- All trial related visits, tests, counseling and e-cigarettes will be given to you at no cost. In addition your trial travel expenses may be covered.
- Your family doctor will be informed and updated regarding your participation in the trial;
- Information learned from this research may lead to better treatment in the future for people who want to quit smoking;
- It’s not known whether e-cigarettes can help quit smoking but if you are able to quit smoking and continue not to smoke, your risk of number of disease will be reduced, including heart disease, stroke, and some cancers like lung and mouth cancers.
Name: Polina Shvarts
Telephone: 905-886-1212ext.204 or 289-597-0106 ext.2
Email: [email protected]